Balliol College welcomes visitors who wish to tour our buildings and gardens. We are open as often as we can be, but from time to time there are College events that require the College to be closed. As part of admission, you will be able to visit the Chapel, Gardens and often the Hall.
*Please note that the College will be closed to visitors on the University Open Days on Wednesday 3 July, Thursday 4 July, Friday 20 September 2019.*
Please be aware that Balliol College is a place of study all year round; therefore, you are asked to keep to the route indicated on the map, and large groups are encouraged to telephone the Lodge in advance: 01865 277777.
If you are a prospective applicant or a school wishing to visit Balliol for an information event, please see Schools and Outreach.
If you are interested in hosting a conference or other event at Balliol, please see Host an Event.
Wheelchair access is via the metal gates off Magdalen Street East; please make the Lodge aware in advance of your arrival so that the Porter can operate the automatic gates. The Chapel and Front Quad can then be accessed via the Fellows’ Garden and the Chapel Passage. For other details of disabled access, please see this map of disabled access at Broad Street.
Opening hours and prices
- We are open from 10.00am until 5.00pm (or dusk, whichever is sooner).
- Entry fee: £3 per adult, £1 concessions and students, free to potential applicants.
- During term time (weeks 0-9), summer exam periods and the admissions period, the number of visitors per group is limited to eight people, or up to 25 if with a Blue Badge guide.
- Admission includes free map and guide.
- Members of Oxford University and Oxford alumni are allowed free entry and are not subject to tourist opening hours.
You can also telephone on the day to check openings: 01865 277777.
The Buttery in the Garden Quad serves light refreshments. Opening times are Monday to Saturday, 12.00 to 8.00pm (with alcohol available 12.30–1.45pm and 5.00–8.00pm), on days when the College is open to visitors.