Balliol College welcomes visitors who wish to tour our buildings and gardens. We are open as often as we can be, but from time to time there are College events that require the College to be closed. As part of admission, you will be able to visit the gardens, but please note that because of the pandemic the Chapel and Hall remain closed.
- We are open from 10.00am until 5.00pm (or dusk, whichever is sooner).
- Entry fee: £3 per adult, £1 concessions and students, free to potential applicants.
- During term time (weeks 0-9), summer exam periods and the admissions period, and for the duration of the pandemic, the number of visitors per group is limited to eight people including a guide. Green and Blue Badge holders only can bring a maximum of 12 guests.
- Admission includes free map and guide.
- Members of Oxford University and Oxford alumni are allowed free entry and are not subject to tourist opening hours.
You can also telephone on the day to check openings: 01865 277777.
Please be aware that Balliol College is a place of study all year round; therefore, you are asked to keep to the route indicated on the map, and large groups are encouraged to telephone the Lodge in advance: 01865 277777.
If you are a prospective applicant or a school wishing to visit Balliol for an information event, please see Schools and Outreach.
If you are interested in hosting a conference or other event at Balliol, please see Host an Event.
There is a ramp from the Porters’ Lodge down into the Front Quad. Access (for those who do not wish to use steps) from the Front Quad to the Fellows’ Garden and Garden Quad is via the Chapel Passage. Access to the Chapel is via portable ramp: if you require access to it, please contact the Broad Street Lodge (telephone 01865 277777). There is access to the Hall via a lift.
See also further information on disability for current members and prospective applicants. Please contact the Lodge if you require assistance.