Balliol runs a number of programmes and events designed to widen access to the University of Oxford. Some are available only to schools in Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk (our link regions) and some are open to students from any school. To find out which Oxford College is responsible for Outreach in your region please click here.
Online Admissions Test Workshops
These workshops are open to those who have already or are intending to submit an application to Oxford for 2023 entry and are required to take the relevant admissions test as part of that application.
- Online ELAT Workshop - Monday 10th October 17:00 — 19:00. To apply for this event please complete this form.
- Online MAT Workshop — Thursday 13th October 16:00 — 17:30. To apply for this event please complete this form.
- Online HAT Workshop - Tuesday 18th October 16:00 — 18:00. To apply for this event please complete this form.
- Online MAT Workshop — Thursday 20th October 16:00 — 17:30. To apply for this event please complete this form.
- Online PAT Workshop — Monday 24th October 16:00 ‑18:00. To apply for this event please complete this form.
- Online TSA Workshop — Tuesday 25th October 19:00 — 21:00. To apply for this event please complete this form.
Online Subject-Specific Interview Workshops
These workshops are open to those who have already or are intending to submit an application to Oxford for 2023 entry to read the course specified.
- Online Chemistry Interview Workshop — Tuesday 1st November 16:00 — 17:30. To apply for this event please complete this form.
- Online Physics Interview Workshop — Monday 7th November 16:00 — 18:00. To apply for this event please complete this form.
- Online History Interview Workshop - Tuesday 8th November 16:00 — 17:30. To apply for this event please complete this form.
- Online Biology Interview Workshop — Monday 14th November 16:30 — 18:00. To apply for this event please complete this form.
- Online English Interview Workshop — Monday 21st November 17:00 — 19:00. To apply for this event please complete this form.
Floreat and Frontier Access Programmes for Year 12 students
Balliol offers two, year-long academic programmes, Floreat and Frontier. These programmes are for Year 12 students from state schools in the London borough of Brent, Hertfordshire and Norfolk. For details, please see the Access Programmes web page.
Subject Taster Days for Year 12 students
Each year, we run a range of Subject-specific Taster Days for year 12 students from state schools across the UK.
These days include academic sessions, a practical workshop and a demonstration of an Oxford interview in the relevant subject. There will also be a tour of Balliol College with a chance to meet and ask questions of current undergraduate students. In the 2021/2022 academic year we ran Taster Days for the following subjects:
Please check back on this page for upcoming information on Taster Days for the 2022/2023 academic year.
Oxford for East of England: Springboard
Our Springboard video collection, is intended for school pupils in Years 11, 12 and 13. Each video offers an introduction to a new topic, plus lots of activities and further resources to explore. When you click on a topic, we’ll ask you a few questions and then play the video you’ve chosen.
Public admissions talks
We give public presentations on applying to Oxbridge at schools in our link regions. These are suitable for all students, teachers and parents. If you are interested in hosting a public event at your school or college, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Oxbridge talks
These talks cover admission arrangements for Oxford and Cambridge Universities.
Wednesday 16th November 18:00 — 19:00. You can sign up to attend this talk here.
Email email@example.com to speak to our outreach team about possibly booking an Oxbridge admissions talk at your school.
KS3 Learning Days for Year 7 and Year 8 students
These days are for able students from any state schools in Years 7 and 8, run in Oxford in conjunction with other colleges. The maximum number of students any school can bring is 15. For details of 2019–2020 KS3 Learning Days, see this KS3 event page.
Personal statement workshops
We provide personal statement workshops for year 12 students. Interested schools should email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CPD for teachers
Previous CPD sessions
In the recent academic years we have ran the following sessions for teachers and advisors:
- Admissions tests and written work
- Interviews — what to expect and how to support applicants
- Personal statements and teacher references
- Super-curricular learning
- Modular Arithmetic for Secondary Maths Teachers
Other access events and programmes
The following events and programmes are run by Oxford University:
- University calendar of events to support prospective applicants.
- UNIQ - Access programme for state school students from under-represented groups
- Opportunity Oxford — An academic bridging programme that helps to prepare talented UK offer-holders from under-represented backgrounds for successful student careers at our university.
- Target Oxbridge - A free programme that aims to help Black African and Caribbean students and students of mixed race with Black African and Caribbean heritage increase their chances of getting into the Universities of Oxford or Cambridge.
- The Astrophoria Foundation Year Programme — A one-year foundation programme for UK state school students with significant academic potential, who have experienced severe personal disadvantage and/or disrupted education which has resulted in them being unable to apply directly for an Oxford undergraduate degree programme.