Balliol runs a number of programmes and events designed to widen access to the University of Oxford. Some are available only to schools in Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk (our link regions) and some are open to students from any school.
KS3 Learning Days for Year 7 and Year 8 students
These days are for able students from any state schools in Years 7 and 8, run in Oxford in conjunction with other colleges. The maximum number of students any school can bring is 15. For details of 2019-2020 KS3 Learning Days, see this KS3 event page.
Subject Taster Days for Year 12 students
These events at Balliol are for students in Year 12 who are giving serious consideration to applying to Oxford. The day typically involves academic sessions, and advice on the admissions process and interviews. Below are details of recent Taster Days as examples (please note that due to Covid 19 these events will be run online):
- Virtual Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) Taster Day for women only, Friday 5 June 2020
- Virtual Physics and Philosophy Taster Day, Monday 8 June 2020
- Virtual English Taster Day, Wednesday 10 June 2020
- Virtual Chemistry Taster Day, 24 June 2020
Floreat Access Programme for Year 12 students
Balliol offers a year-long academic programme to Year 12 students from state schools in the London borough of Brent, Hertfordshire and Norfolk. For details, please see the Floreat web page. Please note that due to Covid 19 this programme will be run online.
Public admissions talks
We give public presentations on applying to Oxbridge at schools in our link regions. These are suitable for all students, teachers and parents. If you are interested in hosting a public event at your school or college, please email: email@example.com.
Please note that due to Covid 19 we will be hosting multi-school events online. We are, however, currently able to come into schools.
Virtual Oxbridge talk (covering admission arrangements for Oxford and Cambridge Universities):
- Date: Wednesday 25 November 2020, 6.00pm-7.30pm
- Contact: Pravahi Osman Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to book a place
- Booking deadline: Friday 20 November 2020
- The University of Oxford’s colleges and departments are collaborating to run a series of 90-minute online interview workshops.
- Workshops will inform applicants about, what to expect, and how to prepare by exploring typical interview questions for the course for which they have applied.
- This is open to UK state school students only. Successful applicants will be allocated to the most suitable workshop available for the undergraduate course for which they have applied.
Deadline for applications: 19 October. Book a place on an interview workshop here.
Personal statement workshops:
We provide personal statement workshops for year 12 students. Interested schools should email: email@example.com
CPD for teachers
In conjunction with other colleges we are offering a number of CPD sessions:
- Wednesday 30 September, 4.00pm-5.30pm: Admissions tests and written work
- Wednesday 14 October, 4.00pm-5.30pm: Super-curricular learning
- Wednesday 4 November, 4.00pm-5.30pm: Interviews - what to expect and how to support applicants
- Wednesday 24 February,4.00pm-5.30pm: Super-curricular learning
- Wednesday 28 April, 4.00pm-5.30pm: Personal statements and teacher references