See other pages in this section

Sexual Violence and Assault

Balliol is committed to helping students who have been raped, sexually assaulted, or sexually abused, either recently or in the past, to have appropriate specialist support. Members of the Wellbeing and Welfare Team will listen to and support you without judgement, and can help you to access the following services.

Oxfordshire Solace Sexual Advice Referral Centre (SARC)

For an incident within the last seven days: the Oxfordshire Solace Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) provides confidential specialist support for anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted, including advice on the choices available, forensic services and medical treatment. SARC staff are specially trained and dedicated crisis workers who are independent, so you do not have to worry about the police or any other agency or person (including your loved ones) finding out about your assault if you do not wish. They understand it can be difficult at a time of crisis to think clearly about your choices – though it may not feel like it, you have options available to you.

You can contact the Solace SARC on 0800 970 9952 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). If you need transport, please contact the Broad Street Lodge or the Holywell Manor Lodge.

University Sexual Harassment and Violence Support Service (SHVSS)

Image with the word 'Sexual harassment and violence is never acceptable'

For an incident that happened more than seven days ago: The University Sexual Harassment and Violence Support Service (SHVSS) provides a safe space in which to be heard, with advisors offering free support and advice to any current student regardless of age or gender who has been impacted by sexual harassment or violence. All specialist advisors at the service are trained to support you at your pace, non-judgementally and in confidence.

To arrange an appointment with a SHVSS advisor, email supportservice@​admin.​ox.​ac.​uk. You do not have to provide any information in your email about what has happened.

College Harassment Officers and University Harassment Advisor Network

College Harassment Officers, or any member of the University Harassment Advisor Network, can be contacted for confidential advice on any matter relating to sexual harassment. They will often support students in contacting the University Sexual Harassment and Violence Support Service.

Other support

The University provides a list of external support resources in addition to the University Counselling Service. Oxford SU (Student Union) provides a confidential and impartial Student Advice Service.