The wedding of Dr Rob Apsimon (Balliol 2003) and Dr Oznur Mete in Balliol Chapel, 1 August 2015
See other pages in this section

Weddings in Chapel for Members and Staff

Congratulations on your engagement! If you are considering a wedding in Balliol it is strongly advised that before you enter into any commitments you get in touch with the Chaplain as early as possible, whether you intend to be married by the Chaplain or another officiating minister.

Planning your day

In order to set a date for your wedding you will need to liaise with both the Chaplain (via her Secretary initially) and the Conference and Events Manager (see contact information below). The College has an extremely busy Conference and Events calendar, so, following your preliminary conversations with the Chaplain’s Secretary, you will need to contact the Conference and Events Manager in order to co-ordinate a date that suits both parties. Please note, however, that the Chaplain is not always available in August and September and that Chapel weddings are not normally possible during term-time.

Legal requirements

In order to be married in Balliol College Chapel you must obtain a Special Licence from the Archbishop of Canterbury. (This applies both for couples intending to be married by the Chaplain and those intending to be married by another Anglican priest. If you are intending to be married by a member of the clergy from another denomination it will be their responsibility to investigate and advise you of the relevant procedures.) Licences are normally granted if you are a Balliol student, Old Member, or member of staff. The current fee for a Special Licence is £350. In order to complete the licence application you must gain the permission of your local parish priest. Please ensure that you do this prior to completing the application. Special Licence applications must be made online at The Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Wedding preparation

The Chaplain will prepare couples for marriage. If another Anglican priest is conducting the service, it will be their responsibility to prepare the couple and register the marriage. The Chaplain would normally meet with the couple several months in advance of the wedding and again nearer the time to discuss the service in detail.

It is also possible to have a wedding rehearsal in Balliol Chapel in advance of the wedding itself.

Seating capacity

Balliol College Chapel seats 120 people.

Disabled access into the College is via the metal gates off Magdalen Street East; please make the Lodge aware so that the Porter can operate the automatic gates. The Chapel can then be accessed via the Fellows’ Garden. There are two steps up from the Antechapel into the Chapel which would require physical assistance to lift a wheelchair.

Order of service

There are a number of variables in the order of service itself depending on your specific requirements, i.e. music, readings, hymns, etc. If you would like to see a typical order of service, please ask the Chaplain’s Secretary.


The College has two Organ Scholars who are available to play at weddings; the usual fee for playing is £150. The organ scholars may have repertoire suggestions and always welcome your choice of music, within the bounds of possibility for the Balliol Chapel Organ. The Chaplain’s Secretary has contact details for the Organ Scholars should you wish to be in touch with them.

Sometimes, the bride and groom request a chamber choir to sing at their wedding, and this will usually incur a further £500 cost, although this may depend on the specifics of the request and availability. For further information about this you would consult the Organ Scholar who has agreed to play the wedding service.


You are welcome to use an arranger of your choice.

Wedding reception

It may be possible to hold your wedding reception in College. The College has a very busy conference schedule outside term time and facilities may not always be available. It is strongly advised that you contact the Conference and Events Manager as early as possible in order to investigate availability.


For weddings, couples are required to obtain a Special Licence, currently £350 (see above). The Chaplain’s fee is £250 for conducting weddings or marriage blessings which is the same as for weddings in a parish church. The fee for use of the College Chapel is £500. Catering costs will vary according to your requirements. If you would like one of the organ scholars to play at the wedding, their current fee is £150.

Religious service after civil marriage or civil partnership

Sometimes it is more appropriate or the couple may prefer to have a service of thanksgiving or blessing in Chapel after entering into a civil marriage or civil partnership, by arrangement with the Chaplain. No licence is required.