Ramp from Porters' Lodge into Front Quad (photo: Stuart Bebb)


Balliol welcomes all students with a disability (undergraduate and graduate). You are warmly encouraged to visit or contact us to discuss how we can plan to support you, in collaboration with the University’s Disability Advisory Service.

The College is working to improve access and this page contains details of what we are currently able to offer. There is also an Oxford University-wide Access Guide and specific detail about Balliol can be found here.


The College owns several rooms that are specially adapted for disabled students, with disabled showers. There is one at Broad Street (example above, top), three at Jowett Walk, and eight in our newest buildings at the Master’s Field (examples below).

Room with disabled access at Broad Street main site (photo: Rob Judges)
Disabled room, Master's Field, Block D
Disabled bathroom, Master's Field, Block B (photo: Stuart Bebb)
Master's Field development:  disabled room Block D with view on to St Cross Road (photo: Stuart Bebb)

Access to the Balliol sites

Access to the Balliol sites is as follows (with links to the precise location on the free what3words app or website as indicated):

Broad Street (main site): There is a ramp from the Porters’ Lodge down into the Front Quad. Access for those in wheelchairs from the Front Quad to the Fellows’ Garden and Garden Quad is via the Chapel Passage. There is an accessible lift to Hall from the Buttery. There is accessible teaching space on the main site. It is also possible to arrange car parking and access via the metal gates off Magdalen Street East (what3words link): please contact the Lodge if this is required. *We regret that the access lift to Lecture Room XXIII is currently unavailable.*

Holywell Manor: Access is limited. It can be accessed from Manor Place (what3words link), linking through the Garden and into the South Wing corridor for access to the specially designed toilet and shower. A ramp enables access to the Cockpit and Music Room. Here is a map of wheelchair access to the public rooms at Holywell Manor.

Jowett Walk (what3words link): There is one lift from the entrance to the ground floor.

Master’s Field (what3words link): All buildings have ground-level access and lifts to access each floor. 


There is a lift from the Buttery up to the Hall. 


There are many ways in which we can help users with disabilities to get the most out of the Library: there is more information here.


There is an audio loop system in the Chapel. Access to the Chapel is via portable ramp: if you require access to it, please contact the Broad Street Lodge (telephone 01865 277777).

Lecture Room XXIII

Lecture Room 23 on the Broad Street main site has a lift, full wheelchair access throughout and an adapted toilet. It also has an audio induction/ hearing loop.

Arrangements for examinations

If students need practical help with, or extra time for, examinations because of a disability (for example, if it would be impossible for a student to sit examinations in the Examination Schools, or if a candidate needed to use a computer), the Student Experience and Support Administrator can seek permission for, and organise, the required special provision.

Hearing support systems

Balliol has some equipment to support hearing disabilities. If you need to use it, please ask at the Broad Street Lodge.

Further information

The Disability Officers at Balliol are:

Current students can also contact the JCR Disabled Students’ Officer or the MCR Disabilities Officer with any concerns relating to disability. The Wellbeing and Welfare page lists people in College to contact if you need help or advice. See also: