Please note, that due to Covid 19, we are unable to host visits for school groups for the remainder of 2020. We are however, able to offer online talks and we are able to visit schools, and will prioritise those with greatest need.
Who Can Visit?
- We are always happy to welcome school groups of up to 25 students from key stages 3-5.
- We prioritise schools from within our link regions of; Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk and we are happy to host visits for schools from outside our link areas if we have the capacity.
- You can check which Oxford College your school is linked to.
- Prospective applicants can visit at any time when the college is open and take a self-guided tour. There is no charge for these tours.
- You can also take a virtual tour.
- Teachers who would like to join our mailing list for information about events should email email@example.com
When is the Best Time to Visit?
- Visits during the Oxford University Term provide a more authentic experience than during the university holidays.
- The University Open Days provide an opporunity to meet academic staff as well as current students.
What Will I do?
- Visits are tailored to the age and interests of the group.
- Groups receive a campus tour, talk with our undergraduates, find out about applying to Oxford and universities in general and usually take part in an academic experience.
- A free two course hot lunch lunch is provided for groups from state schools.
- Musuem visits and workshops, departmental tours, personal statement workshops, information advice and guidance about A Level and University choices are also available.
- We can also arrange tours of other colleges and visits to Balliol’s Historic Collections Centre.
- Balliol also provides programmes, events and resources.
- To book a visit contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sample Programmes and Activities
- KS3 students may take part in a library workshop to develop critical thinking skills
- KS4 students may take part in academic taster sessions based at the College or in a department.
- Our work with year 12 and year 13 students focuses on supporting prospective University of Oxford applicants through the admissions process by providing guidance on personal statements and interviews.
A typical timetable runs as follows:
Feedback from School Visits
‘Our trip to Oxford University was remarkable and truly enjoyable for the year-11 students. We felt so fortunate to be given such an unforgettable opportunity and it was extremely beneficial.’ Lana El Assad, Year 11, Hertswood Academy Read Lana’s acccount of her school’s visit
‘This trip has persuaded me to go to university and has inspired me to try my hardest to get where I want to be.’ - Rebecca Griffiths, Year 7, Queens’ School, Bushey Read Rebecca’s account of her school’s visit
‘We found out about the large range of clubs available for students, and arrangements in place regarding student life and financing an Oxford course. We learnt about the range of courses and unique teaching styles offered by the college. We discovered how the University is not just teaching the next generation, but a workplace where experts who are conducting pioneering research in their field.’ Dexter Kenchington, Year 9, Parmiter’s School, Watford Read Dexter’s account of his school’s visit
‘I thought that our trip to Oxford University was very useful and informative. Our trip gave us an insight to what university life is like. It also gave us an idea of what grades at GCSE and A-level we need to achieve to get into such a great university such as Oxford.’ - Tiffany Duran, Marlborough Science Academy (years 9 and 10), St Albans
Booking Visits to Your School
- Our Outreach Officer, Pravahi Osman, and our Outreach Assistant, Jack Robinson visit schools and colleges in Balliol’s link regions of Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk.
- We offer talks and workshops which are appropriate for different age groups from Year 7-13.
- In order to use our resources effectively, we prioritise visits to schools who are willing to host events which other local schools can attend.
- Our Student Ambassadors are also sometimes available to visit schools and give presentations on request.
- Contact email@example.com for further information.