History (Ancient and Modern) at Balliol College
Balliol has long enjoyed an outstanding reputation for History teaching and research. The College’s commitment to the subject is reflected in its provision of four Fellows in History, and one in Ancient History — exceptional among Oxford colleges — and a Library whose holdings in the subject are second to none.
Balliol College has a dynamic tradition of History (Ancient and Modern). The degree offers a substantial choice of papers from both halves of the course and also the opportunity to begin or continue language training in Greek or Latin.
Number of places at Balliol: 1 or 2, but there is no maximum quota.
- Professor of Contemporary European History, MacLellan-Warburg Fellow and Tutor in HistoryHistory
- Professor of Modern and Global History, Lucas Fellow and Tutor in HistoryHistory
- Associate Professor, Colyer-Fergusson Fellow and Tutor in Early Medieval HistoryHistory
- Associate Professor, Keen Fellow and Tutor in HistoryHistory
- Early Career Fellow in Early Modern HistoryHistory
- Professor of Greek History, Dyson-Macgregor Fellow, Jowett Lecturer and Tutor in Ancient HistoryClassics
- Lecturer in HistoryHistory
- Lecturer in Modern HistoryHistory
Follow the Balliol Historians on Twitter
About the course
For more on Ancient History at Oxford, please see the Faculty of History website.
Course requirements and selection criteria
Balliol expects candidates to have an A‑level or equivalent (e.g. IB Higher Level) in History. Candidates will be expected to show a serious interest in the ancient world. An A‑level in Ancient History, Latin, Greek, or Classical Civilisation is desirable but not necessary. See also the University’s entrance requirements.