The average costs of accommodation are as follows:
- Daily average room rate is £26 per day
- Length of undergraduate contract is 189 days (3 x 9‑week terms)
Your room rent will be your main expense at Balliol. Students coming to Balliol in October 2022 will pay rent each term in the range of £1,000 and £2,400 per term. In subsequent years you may pay more.
Termly charges for electricity and laundry for undergraduates living in College are variable; an estimate is £74 per term (9 weeks).
Fresher undergraduates are allocated a single study-bedroom (usually with shared bathroom facilities) on the main site for the first year. In later years there is more choice, including sets of rooms and en-suite facilities.
Students are generally expected to vacate their rooms outside term time, which means that rental costs are kept to a minimum. There are two vacation store rooms where students can store belongings if necessary (space is limited; these are generally intended for storing fridges and use by overseas students).
Average costs for both lunch and dinner in Hall are around £3 per meal, the maximum being a two-course dinner at £4.55. See these further details about meals and catering costs; this page includes information about other options for undergraduates. There is no self-catering for students on the main site.
- What your fees will be if you come to Balliol
- The University’s for a year’s accommodation, food and living in Oxford
- The University’s list of college rents and other charges for the current academic year
- Sources of financial support