Mental health emergency
If you need immediate mental health support or someone to speak to urgently, or if you feel you may be at risk of serious harm, you can:
- Call 999 to reach the emergency services
- Call the 24/7 Oxfordshire NHS Mental Health Helpline: 01865 904997
- Call Nightline (01865 270270) or the Samaritans (tel. 116 123 or email email@example.com)
- Visit the Accident and Emergency department
Steph provides a confidential space in which to listen to students’ emotional concerns and issues. She is a registered counselling psychologist with over ten years’ experience, working with people from diverse backgrounds with a range of mental health and emotional difficulties. On days when she is not working at Balliol, she works at the University Counselling Service. Steph is available at Balliol by appointment on Wednesdays, 9.00–5.00pm, from 0th–9th week.
Oxford University Counselling Service
Any member of Balliol can access the Oxford University Counselling Service. For an appointment, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 01865 270300, or visit the 3 Worcester Street office.
The Counselling Service offers confidential support; however, it is not an emergency service. It also provides supportive online self-help resources, for example, on performing academically, advice for Freshers, on anxiety, and perfectionism, along with details of educational groups and workshops.
- Oxford Nightline, a confidential listening, support, and information service run for and by students at Oxford: telephone 01865 270 270;
- Samaritans, a 24/7 confidential listening service: tel. 116 123 or email email@example.com.
- The 24/7 Oxfordshire NHS Mental Health Helpline: 01865 904997
- Oxford Safe Haven
- MIND including Talking Space Plus
- Students Against Depression including I need help now
Supportive online resources
- Oxford Counselling Service: supportive resources
- Equality & Diversity unit: mental health self-help resources
- Togetherall Managing Stress and Worry course (register with your Oxford email address)