This page is for undergraduate Freshers | Back to undergraduate Freshers home page
Before you arrive at Balliol, please:
- Watch the Welcome to Balliol Library video above.
- Complete the Induction Quiz, which will take you through some of the basics that you’ll find useful for using Oxford’s libraries.
All Balliol students have access to the College Library and to the Bodleian Libraries, which include the libraries for each faculty or department. The libraries are also responsible for providing the many e‑resources that are available.
Each library is different, so it is important that you view the induction material for the College Library and the Bodleian Libraries.
If you have any questions, you should ask the College Librarians at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The College Library can be accessed via the staircase in the Library Passage.
- You can find a map of the Oxford University Libraries here.
College Library inductions
Undergraduate inductions to Balliol Library will take place in-person on Tuesday 4 October. The timetable will be circulated by the JCR. Undergraduate Library induction is mandatory. Please contact the Library team if you miss your tour time for any reason. Please see the Canvas page here where you will be able to use the materials on the ‘Using the Library’ module of the Balliol Library Study Resources Canvas course to familiarise yourselves with the Library.
We will also be offering an online SOLO induction session on Thursday 6 October. We will be sending out more information and invitations closer to the date.
Please see the Bodleian Libraries’ Getting started guide, which includes the above introduction video as well as useful information and links for new students.
An introduction to Balliol College Library
- The College Library is open 24 hours a day to all members of the College, and is accessible via a touchcard system using your University Card. Members of other colleges and visitors are permitted only by appointment with the Librarian.
- The Library staff work between 9.00am and 5.00pm on weekdays, and can be contacted at email@example.com for help with finding and using print and electronic resources within Balliol and elsewhere in Oxford.
- The Library aims to provide most books that undergraduates will need for tutorials in core areas. Please contact the Library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to recommend a book for study.
- You can search for books on the University’s library catalogue, SOLO, which contains the records of the Bodleian and faculty libraries too. SOLO also gives access to the University’s collection of e‑books, e‑journals, and databases, and can be consulted from any computer with Internet access. Readers may use their own computers and access the University wireless service Eduroam in the Library.
- Books may be checked out at any time using the reader’s University Card at the self-issue machine on the Library landing. Students may borrow up to 12 books at a time for two weeks, and can renew loans up to four times online. Fines of 20p per day are charged on overdue books.
There is a more complete guide to the Library on the Library webpages, including more information on the operation and rules of the Library.