Contacting the emergency services

Occasionally it will be necessary for students confronted with an emergency to call the emergency services on 999 to request assistance from the police, the fire service, or an ambulance.

  • If you require assistance in deciding whether to take emergency action, please contact the Lodge, or if the Porter is away from the Lodge, one of the other emergency contact numbers.
  • If you find a fire, please hit the nearest ‘break glass’ point and evacuate; then dial 999 immediately from the nearest available telephone.
  • If you deem it necessary to raise the alarm and call in the emergency services, you will have the College’s full support for your decision, whether this relates to calling an ambulance, fire service, or the police.
  • Anyone who calls 999 must inform the Lodge immediately or as soon as is reasonably practicable when any emergency services have been called. This is important, as only then will the Lodge be able to assist the emergency services in reaching their appropriate destination.

There is an automatic defibrillator at the main site Lodge and all Porters are trained in its use. In addition all Lodge Porters, the Junior Deans and the Jowett Wardens have first-aid training.

Jowett Walk

There is not always a porter on duty in Jowett Walk. However, you must inform the main site Lodge of your decision immediately or as soon as is reasonably practicable. In addition you must also alert one of the wardens of Jowett Walk (see emergency contacts) so that he or she is able to offer assistance. All wardens are first-aid trained.

Armed attacks

Please see the University’s leaflet ‘What to Do in the Event of an Attack by an Armed Person or Persons’.

Medical emergencies and injuries

In a life-threatening emergency, ring for an ambulance: see contacting the emergency services.

If a student sustains any other kind of injury and requires help, contact the Nurse, or the College Doctors’ surgery (01865 240501, including access to the out-of-hours service). The Porters (see emergency contacts below) are also available to help you. You can also obtain telephone advice at any time from NHS Direct, tel. 111. There is an Accident & Emergency department at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Headington, but waiting times can be several hours, so it may be best to seek help from the College Doctors or Nurse first. The Nurse can assess injuries, close and dress cuts, and discuss the likelihood of an injury requiring an X-ray or further treatment.

Emergency contacts

  • Porters’ Lodge (Broad Street): 01865 277777
  • Porters’ Lodge (Holywell Manor): 01865 271501
  • Dean: 01865 277777
  • Junior Deans: 07010 026478
  • Assistant Praefectus (Holywell Manor): 07010 050963
  • Jowett Walk Wardens: 07470 114665
  • Dellal/Martin Warden: 07010 050125