This page is intended to give all current and prospective members of Balliol the latest updates as we have them of the Master’s Field Project. The project co-ordinator is the College Surveyor, Neville Clarke.
Demolition and enabling works
These works were due to start on 15 May, but in the initial phase the noisiest work is being re-scheduled. Demolition proper commences 3 July: the timetable will be posted to hoardings erected late June. There will be internal College consultations with Bidwells (project managers) re the initial demolition and enabling works and design going forward: in particular, residents of College houses in St Cross Road will meet the contractors w/c 22 May. The contractor Maylarch has confirmed the following:
- Occupancy of Eastman House will be preserved to 16 June (works from 19 June; asbestos survey may take place earlier);
- Shift of ‘noisy’ works to outside of 7th and 8th Weeks to avoid FHS exam period – Maylarch will be contacting sub-contractors and reviewing programme to explore whether all minor demolition works/site set-up can be moved to 9th Week+;
- Targeted works during 19-23 June (9th Week): hoardings, tress and shrubs, temporary car park;
- Preservation of sports pavilion use to end June;
- Main demolition works to start 3 July;
- Temporary car park to be painted lines rather than hard standing until ‘noisy works’ period.
Balliol is planning to share its facilities with OU Sport (in order for temporary buildings to be erected on the Mansfield Road Club (MRC) sports fields to house displaced occupants of the Tinbergen building). During this time an artificial wicket will be provided at the Master’s Field. Balliol has priority over bookings.
2017/2018 academic year
Undergraduates and graduates living in Jowett Walk
Building work will commence on the south side of the Master’s Field: further updates will be posted as they are received.
Graduates living in Martin and Dellal
You should be largely unaffected in 2017/2018.
Undergraduate offer-holders due to arrive 2017/2018
The building works will not affect your accommodation in your first year (the College’s Broad Street site is unaffected).
Overview of the project
See this news item.