Funding for Academic Projects and Research/Conferences

In addition to benefactions made to support all the main teaching disciplines (see College subject prizes in the College Handbook), through the generosity of various benefactors the College has funds to support undergraduates and graduates in worthwhile projects, particularly academic-related projects.

Undergraduate academic project grants and other awards

Undergraduates may apply for grants to support projects such as travel and internships; academic-related projects are especially encouraged. The Awards Committee administers these funds, and awards the College prizes referred to above. This annual exercise takes place in Hilary Term, when forms are circulated by email or may be obtained from the Student Finance Officer, for completion by Monday of Hilary Term Week 4.

Graduate conference and research project funding

Graduates may apply once a year, at any time in the course of an academic year, for research/conference grants. There is no application form. College Advisers* should be asked to email the Student Finance Officer in support; and students should themselves provide the Student Finance Officer with an account of the project, an estimate of the costs involved, and details of any funding already provided or in prospect. Wherever appropriate, application for funding should also be made to the relevant university department/faculty. College awards, usually between £50-£100 (for Taught Courses) and up to £250 (for Research Degrees) or £500 for medical electives, will be made by the Senior Tutor. Funds are normally released once the student has submitted a report; but advance payment can be arranged on request.

Graduates may also apply for assistance towards costs involved in the production of a thesis, but cannot apply for project, research or travel grants after they have received leave to supplicate for their degree.

*College Adviser names are available on the student College List. For college-specific awards such as these, we do not ask University supervisors to comment.

The Balliol Interdisciplinary Institute has grants available for interdisciplinary research projects: see the BII webpages.

John Beecher Memorial Fund

The John Beecher Memorial Fund is used to advance the intellectual life of graduate students at Balliol, with an emphasis on areas for which John was passionate, including history, literature, vegetarianism, animal welfare, social justice, theatre and the performing arts. The application process is the same as for the graduate grants above; graduates do not need to apply separately. For possible uses of the fund and who funding is available to, please see these further details for those who wish to apply to the fund. There is more information about John, his life and how to support the fund on this page.

Other sources of College financial support

For details about the range of financial and other benefits that the College makes available to student members, see this page.